I'm catching up with this thread with interest after just coming into work
this morning. Kern, my sympathy. I can imagine how frustrated you are, but it
just goes to show how good a programmer you are, that it wasn't Bacula after
all!

After reading the merits & weaknesses of RHEL, SUSE, & Centos, I have only one
question. Have you considered or tried Debian lately? I settled on Debian
several years ago after becoming disenchanted with each of the major
commercial distributions and haven't regreted it for a moment. (My servers
are humming along happily with Debian AMD64-Sarge & Bacula 1.36 as we speak!)

Three Cheers for Bacula!

cmr

On Friday 29 September 2006 08:00, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> > > The last time I looked (some time ago), it was over $200/machine.  That
> > > is
>
> too
>
> > > much for me.  For a company or someone serious about servers, that's OK
>
> and
>
> > > quite far given their security updates.
> >
> > Redhat offer some discounts for developers, etc.
>
> That is interesting.
>
> > As a Bacula feature request is now in their system and has been requested
> > by at least 25 different customers, they may well be interested in giving
> > you a free license for development purposes.
>
> Hmmm. That is even more interesting.
>
> I actually have RHEL and access to their network, but that is because I
> administer a machine, where the organization (MercyShips) has a global
> RedHat license.  That said, other than having the CDs for recovery
> purposes, which unfortunately I needed recently, I cannot load them on my
> machines.
>
> > I don't disagree with your assessment of installations - I use suse at
> > home, but I have serious issues with their level of professionalism in
> > the commercially supported products.
>
> Well, distros are a bit of a religious thing and very personal.  I look for
> leading edge software, good update/security service, and stability.  RedHat
> is excellent for that, but now that they are commercial, too expensive.
> Fedora as you say and as I experienced is too "bleeding edge".  I asked
> them to use a 9 month release cycle, and they sent me a very kind reply
> giving their reasons for a 6 month cycle.  I then looked at a lot of
> distros: debian, kubantu, ubantu, madrivia, ...  However, most of them
> wouldn't even install on a leading edge Dell (debian, ubantu), others
> (kubantu) are for users that don't know Unix or the distro is a one man
> show without a significant organization, or rely on other distros for
> security patches, ...
>
> For me, for the moment, with the exception of this SCSI bug, SuSE has been
> great (as I say, for me).  One good thing from the time I wasted on this
> "bug" is that I learned that within certain restrictions (SeLinux,
> AppArmor, ...), unlike rpms, I can mix and match kernels from different
> distros as I want.
>
> > (Having said that, RHEL installation is also very straoghtforward)
>
> Yes, but if *anything* goes wrong, it simply dies.  SuSE has a vga
> exception handler that takes over (sort of like a rescue disk) that allows
> you in many cases to get out of trouble -- e.g. switch where the source CDs
> are coming from, ....  really quite cool.
>
> > AB

Debian 'Sarge': Registered Linux User #241964
----
"More laws, less justice." -- Marcus Tullius Ciceroca, 42 BC
--------