On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Is a non-free version a big issue for you?  I've always been a big fan
> of perl's dual-license approach which effectively removes the
> restrictions of the GPL while allowing it to co-exist with GPL'd
> components.  I think it's been a good thing for everyone.

My only concern would be any form of license which allows a vendor to
ship Bacula as a closed-source proprietary product without Kern's
permission and without paying him royalties.

This (to me) is the fundamental flaw of BSD-style licenses.(*)

The superiority of GPL-license community developed products over
BSD-license ones is well illustrated by the shenanigans that several
vendors (especially Broadcom!) have gotten up to in order to disguise
GPL-cored products (particularly embedded systems using the Busybox
package - see www.gpl-violations.org) and claim them as proprietary.

(*) That doesn't mean I think that GPLv3 is OK.

AB