On 8/30/05, Mark A. Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

However, from my reading, the idea was originally promoted by the
Lubavicher. Other groups then presented their own take on it.

I'm not sure how old the idea is. But I think I've read different
things about the origin of the movement. I guess it would depend on
how you define the beginning.

If I remember right the Talmud actually talks about what the moral
responsibilities of Gentiles are and so in some sense Noachides are at
least that old.

Actually, after reading about the Noachides, it has really affected
the way I read Genesis because I totally see the covenant there. Not
all 7 commandments are explicit. But it is pretty clear that a
covenant was established with Noah and his descendents (i.e. all of
us) requiring certain minimal requirements from human beings, for His
part, God promises not to destroy the world by flood again. And the
mark of the covenant is the rainbow.

And elsewhere I've heard that in ancient times many people were
"half-Jews" which might be a reference to this very same covenant.

And in the book of Acts, when James gives a minimal set of
requirements to the Gentile Christians, it also seems to be a
reference to the Noachide way of life.

Maybe you have something more specific than I do in mind when you
think of "Noachide", no?


Peace

Gilberto


 
 
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") 
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be 
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The 
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts 
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended 
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or 
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail 
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and 
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.
 
 
__________________________________________________
 

You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[email protected]
Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st
Baha'i Studies is available through the following:
Mail - mailto:[email protected]
Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st
News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st
Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist
Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]

Reply via email to