On 9/7/05, Mark A. Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Susan,
> At 02:04 AM 9/7/2005, you wrote:
> >>There does seem to have been one around the first century of the
> >>ChristianEra. There were significant groups of gentile 'God-fearers' that
> >>hung around the synagogues from which most of the early Christians were
> >>drawn and Paul is instructed to see to it that they follow the Noachide
> >>Code. Jesus also speaks of Jewish efforts at proselytizing.<<
> Yes. I actually remember that from Hebrew School. ;-) However, I was
> referring to modern times. In some ways, the Noachides are a historical
> reconstructionist movement - similar, from that standpoint, to Asatru, the
> Kemetics, Hellenismos, and Odinism.
Really?!? I guess I sort of see now where you are coming from but I've
just had a very different impression of what they were claiming. I've
seen maybe one website which describes Noachides as a religion of a
specific group but it seems more like an attempt at a universal human
religion. It doesn't have very specific practices and rituals which
need to be authentically recreated or reproduced (like the groups you
mentioned). It seems (to me) more like a very minimal inclusive and in
principle universal and timeless system. There is no Noachide sacred
language. No specific prayers. No specific positive practices. (except
for maybe reading the tanakh.) Virtually all the commandments are
negative. It seems more like Hillelism (which I've discussed with
Susan before.. either here or on soc.religion.bahai).
Anyway.. I would think that if essence of the Noachide covenant is
specifically found in Genesis and Gentiles were living in ancient
Israel it isn't unreasonable that there were some kinds of Noachides
back then. But especially since the commandments are spelled out to
some degree in the Talmud, and some Gentiles had a fairly positive
relationship to Judaism, Noachides must have existed at least by then.
Peace
Gilberto
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.
__________________________________________________
You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[email protected]
Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st
Baha'i Studies is available through the following:
Mail - mailto:[email protected]
Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st
News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st
Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist
Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]