Mark A. Foster wrote:

Tim,

At 06:49 AM 9/4/2005, you wrote:
A person can define himself as anything, there is no way to control that. However, 
that doesn't mean the rest of the world must accept that self-definition.<<

As a sociologist of religion, I have no alternative but to accept the 
self-definitions of people. As an individual, I also do not want to judge 
people. My assumption is that people are adherents of whatever religion they 
claim.
You always have choices, Mark. Your's has been to define yourself as an academic and to toe that line. Yhat's ok, but be honest with yourself, you have chosen. Ian Semple, in a talk on obedience, discussed the collaborater who says he had no choice but to betray others, or he would have been killed. Semple says he could have chosen to die.



Well, they are obviously not members of "the Baha'i Faith," which is an 
organization with precise membership standards. IMO, that is a separate issue.
I don't believe that that's true, Mark, and your original answer was ambiguous. I think it good to keep in mind that when non-Baha'is raise issues on this list they are expecting Baha'i answers not sociological answers. The Baha'i Faith is the eternal faith of God, not a sociological organization in the sense that it is being defended and discussed in this issues.

In grad school I wrote a paper on healthcare views in the Baha'i Faith from a nursing and anthropological perspective and I kept that perspective, but I didn't kid myself that it had anything to do with the Faith from it's own perspective.

Rich






The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent 
by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and 
for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by 
federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message 
is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or 
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please 
immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message 
and any attachments thereto. Thank you.


__________________________________________________


You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[email protected]
Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st
Baha'i Studies is available through the following:
Mail - mailto:[email protected]
Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st
News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st
Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist
Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]

Reply via email to