Rich, At 05:16 PM 9/5/2005, you wrote: >>You always have choices, Mark. Your's has been to define yourself as an >>academic and to toe that line. Yhat's ok, but be honest with yourself, you >>have chosen.<<
I define myself differently in different contexts. Why are you being so judgmental? I don't recall you ever having expressed yourself in this way. >>Ian Semple, in a talk on obedience, discussed the collaborater who says he >>had no choice but to betray others, or he would have been killed. Semple says >>he could have chosen to die.<< I don't see how that relates to me. >>I don't believe that that's true, Mark, and your original answer was >>ambiguous. I think it good to keep in mind that when non-Baha'is raise issues >>on this list they are expecting Baha'i answers not sociological answers.<< This is a Baha'i studies list, not a Baha'i list. In any event, I think that my responses have reflected my views both as a sociologist and as a Baha'i. The Baha'i Faith is the eternal faith of God, not a sociological organization in the sense that it is being defended and discussed in this issues. >>In grad school I wrote a paper on healthcare views in the Baha'i Faith from a >>nursing and anthropological perspective and I kept that perspective, but I >>didn't kid myself that it had anything to do with the Faith from it's own >>perspective.<< Is there any single Baha'i perspective on most issues? I don't think so. Via moderna, Mark A. Foster . http://markfoster.net ... since [a] word is said to be common, it can be called a universal. - Wm. of Ockham, Summa Logicae, part I Structurization Tech: http://tech.structurization.com The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you. __________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[email protected] Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:[email protected] Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected] New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
