> I'm suggesting that your basic thesis is wrong.

What do you think my thesis is?"

Dear Gilberto,

That ethical principles and values have been constant over time.

"If you aren't even sure if the
Israelites received those commands (which are clearly contained in
Deuteronomy) why argue tooth-and-nail that those commandments are
justified?"

I didn't argue that point 'tooth and nail.' I *am* arguing that we can't
disallow the possibility those commands *did* come from God because
according to present day standards we find them distasteful.

"I would say that a set of values worthy of the name "values" actually
*can* be applied that way."

That's the the thesis I'm disputing.

"I specifically explained
what I meant by genocide and what I am refering to as "genocide" for
the purposes of this particular discussion is different from what was
done to Banu Qurayzah."

Yes, I understand that you are defining genocide in a way that would include
what the OT represents God as commanding and exclude what Muhammad did. I
find that too convenient.

"Secondly, You are totally ignoring the explanation given by Karen
Armstrong."

No, I'm not. I understand all the possible explanations just as I can
understand the possible explanations for eliminating the Canaanites.

 "There are specific reasons for why the particular actions
taken against Banu Qurayzah saved lives."

The same could be said for the Canaanites who practiced baby sacrifices.

"Thirdly, please don't ever ever say that you love and respect Islam
and Muhammad if you are going to equate Muhammad with Milosevic."

I don't. As I said, I don't project modern values back to pre-modern times.
But if anyone today did what Muhammad did, I would accuse them of genocide
and I suspect you would too.

warmest, Susan



 
 
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") 
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be 
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The 
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts 
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended 
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or 
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail 
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and 
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.
 
 
__________________________________________________
 

You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[email protected]
Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st
Baha'i Studies is available through the following:
Mail - mailto:[email protected]
Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st
News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st
Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist
Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]

Reply via email to