On 10/27/05, Scott Saylors <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Qurayzah, duly noted, sorry for the error.


> The treaty and its breaking provided grounds for the Muslims to make war
> with them, indeed.

Ok.

> The outcome of wiping out the males of mature age (old enough to be capable
> of bearing arms), then enslaving the women and children DID wipe them out
> ethnically just as completely as if the women and children had been slain. I
> would submit you do not know if they continue to exist as a people because
> they do not.

I'm not going to pretend like I'm some scholarly expert. I've read
alot about religion but I don't want to set myself up as an authority.
And this might sound bad... but if you just now are getting the
group's name correct, then I don't think you are in ANY position to
speak so confidently about whether or not the group still exists. You
have no basis for saying what you are saying.

It is better to just say, that you don't know.


> Tribal warfare tends to be BRUTAL warfare.
> Whether it be Hebrews, Arab,
> Hutu, or whatever.

How are you measuring brutality? There are larger casualties in modern
wars. Humans have certainly gotten more efficient at killing. Wars
today still include horrible atrocities. If you look at the history of
warfare I doubt that you would see much evidence of human progress.


> I believe this whole progress is proof that > the "moral value of life" does
> indeed change from age to age and
> dispensation to dispensation.

There is a famous saying in philosophical circles that says you can't
go from an Is to an Ought. Moral values aren't things that you can
measure emprically. So in particular, you can't look at history and
find evidence that moral values have changed. You might be able to
find evidence that people's beliefs about morality have changed, gone
up and down like hemlines. But not the values themselves.

Peace

Gilberto


 
 
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") 
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be 
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The 
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts 
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended 
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or 
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail 
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and 
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.
 
 
__________________________________________________
 

You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[email protected]
Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st
Baha'i Studies is available through the following:
Mail - mailto:[email protected]
Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st
News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st
Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist
Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]

Reply via email to