On 10/27/05, Benjamin La Framboise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Dear Gilberto,
 Aside from the fact that I think we're having a virtually
> fruitless conversation here,

Yes.

Benjamin:
I just want to add that if we are going to
> include explanations of history so that we can better understand the
> circumstances in which the events happened (such as provided by Karen
> Armstrong), we should also be prepared to hunt down and find those same
> types of writings that help to understand the biblical accounts that we are
> referring to as genocide.

Yes, I've seen alot of those materials looking at this from the
Christian's side.

>  I have a strong suspicion they're out there,
> though I don't, myself, have the time to hunt them down.

I have looked at arguments on the other side and personally didn't
find them convincing.

> The other thing I found interesting about the particular quote you provided
> is that Armstrong actually uses the phrase, "the harsh ethics of the
> desert," which seems to acknowledge that the ethics of warfare at the time
> (or, at that place) were in fact different there than elsewhere.
>
> Just some thoughts,

Thanks. I appreciate the content and the tone. I don't have a problem
with the idea that one might formulate different rules for different
kinds of situations. (a life boat, a prison, a school, a battlefield,
a desert) And I think your parenthetical remark is on target. I don't
think the values should be time dependent. But I don't have a problem
seeing how they depend on the situation itself.


Peace
gilberto


 
 
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") 
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be 
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The 
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts 
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended 
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or 
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail 
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and 
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.
 
 
__________________________________________________
 

You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[email protected]
Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st
Baha'i Studies is available through the following:
Mail - mailto:[email protected]
Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st
News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st
Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist
Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]

Reply via email to