The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Dear Iskandar,

Of course we all have reasons why we choose a particular path over others,
and that they speak to us more fully than the others - hence why we identify
ourselves as such. I think it is possible for one to do that without being
supremacist. For example, I don't believe the Baha'i Faith is an "evil"
religion or that its adherents are "apostates" from Islam. My reasons for
identifying with Islam are complex and many, I couldn't possibly explain
them adequately in an email forum message. But an important reason is
Islam's diversity, that there are many strands of thought, theology, and
philosophy in Islam - sometimes to the point that it appears that they are
different religions altogether. I also have felt that I had a personal
calling to Islam that I did not have with the Baha'i Faith. But none of that
proves Islam is superior to the Baha'i Faith, or vice versa.

*"If it irks you, so be it; you irk atheists, Jews, Christians, Buddhists,
etc. And please don't tell me that those other religions don't have the true
or authentic scripture nonsense. That's just bull. *
**
I want you to remember that comment the next time someone uses the Baha'is
as a bad example, or insults your beloved Faith in anyway, and tell yourself
"so be it. I irk them." I never said anything about other religions not
having authentic scriptures. I would be careful saying it is "bull",
considering Shoghi Effendi said this about Buddhist scriptures;

*Regarding Hinduism and Buddhism, Shoghi Effendi says that "we cannot be
sure of the scriptures of Buddha and Krishna" (*Lights of Guidance,* 2d ed.,
503), and that no one possesses the Buddha's "authentic writings" ("Buddha,
Krishna, Zoroaster and Related Subjects," 21). Shoghi Effendi often advised
Baha'is to turn to historians and religious scholars in order to learn about
Hinduism and Buddhism (Ibid., 19, 20, 21; *Lights of Guidance,* 1st ed.,
382).*
**
http://bahai-library.com/encyclopedia/scripture.html

I did not present that to start a fight with you, it's just that it seems
like any time myself or Gilberto express any concern over how Islam is being
insulted in some manner, you basically tell us that we have no right to
express concern - and that it's those bad Muslims in the East that are
persecuting Baha'is - therefore we have no reason to complain. Truth be
told, I let most things slide, and when I do finally express a concern, I
never want it to turn into a debate that eats up the main topic at hand.

Allahu Abha