The Baha'i Studies Listserv
I touched on Critical Realism in the last posting. However, I don't know
if the subject interests anyone but me. :)

In any event, I was a critical realist (Roy Bhaskar's general approach)
until about 8 years ago. I returned to Critical Realism almost 3 months ago.

According to Bhaskar, there are three basic levels:

1. The Real (unobservable, underlying structures)
2. The Actual (the events or phenomena produced by the Real)
3. The Empirical (observations of the Actual)

I took Bhaskar's model and reformulated it:

1. /unknowable unifying essences/, including the Unity of God, the unity
of religions, and the unity of humanity
2. /attributes of essences/, such as the individualized divine
Attributes (Prophets) of the Unity of God, the virtues of unity of
religions, and the rational faculty of the unity of humanity
3./names of anyone or anything/, such as Muhammad, Lebanon, and stamp
collecting

In other words, unifying essences are unknowable. Our knowledge of them
is indirect - by their attributes. Once we name, or identify, a set of
attributes, we can relate to it and even combine those attributes into
different forms.
---
Regards, Mark A. Foster, Ph.D.
29 domains: http://markfoster.net