Please don't misunderstand the following comments.  I am not
disparaging the great work done by the bcm43xx team, but the fact is
that a reverse engineered driver will never be as good as a driver for
which the original source code or specs are released by the
manufacturer.  I mostly lurk on this list because my linksys routers
all use broadcom chips and there is no easy way to replace them.  When
given a choice of 802.11g cards to purchase for general-purpose use I
always go with cards that have Ralink chipsets.  Ralink is a taiwanese
manufacturer who releases their driver source code under the GPL, and
is the only company that I am aware of that does so.  As a result,
support for their chips in Linux is just superb; I use the in-kernel
driver and it consistently works perfectly.  I have a g MIMO card that
"just works" right OOB (when firmware is installed) and I just can't
sing Ralink's praises enough.  If you want a card that will work
perfectly in all situations, go with a card that has a Ralink chipset.