Frank Teuton wrote:

> > My understanding was that for trees it is preferred that fungi were
> > predominant, for grasses bacteria is the preferred predominant. For
> > veggies and flowers, and the like, I thought it was about 50% fungi and
> > 50% bacteria.
> >
> > Did I misunderstand?
>
> Hi Bonnie,
>
> Yes it is more complicated than that. Among grasses, as among the row crop
> vegetables, there is a spectrum of needs and tolerances. Elaine discusses
> this in some of her audio CDs  on the soil foodweb.  For example, Poa
> pratensis, which we refer to as Kentucky bluegrass, is a grass which needs
> strong bacterial dominance. Fescues like it with more fungus, still
> bacterial but less so. And so on.
>
> Brassicas, says Ingham, are at the strong bacterial dominance end of the
> spectrum. I suppose this means that brassica root exudates select strongly
> for bacterial mutualists.  In a rich organic soil with the presence of a
> suitable array of such bacteria, I assume that brassicas can have the
> bacterial services they seek, even if there are also a lot of fungus
> species/presence.
>
> The old JI Rodale literature contains several references to people who had
> rich composted soils that they were able to grow a wide spectrum of
> different plants in. The explanation offered, as I recall, was that
> compost/humus/soil organic matter had great buffering capacity (the pH
> thing).
>
> I think it is more likely that the rich, diverse foodweb in such composted
> soil had a full panoply of choices for each kind of plant to draw on in
> organizing microbial teams for its roots and leaves. Those teams could then
> mediate between the plants and the soil and get each plant what it needed.
>
> One thing I like about Ingham's stuff is she uses 'who' for organisms
> instead of 'what', as in 'let's see who's in there.' That suggests a sort of
> intimacy that we also of course need to have with our plants, as in not only
> are you a flower/veggie, but which one are you, which cultivar, what do you
> need from my growing?
>
> The bacterial/fungal dominance issue can only be part of our answers to
> those questions.
>
> Frank

HI Frank  Some plants seem to dominate there patch off ground and
prevent others from growing is this because the can dominate their
bacterial/fungal requirments  to excude other plants? I am thinking of
the fact that some plants are antagonist towards each other and do not
like being planted together or after each other.
Fascinating subject.
Cheers Tony Robinson
NewZealand