On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Charles Steinkuehler
<char...@steinkuehler.net> wrote:
> On 3/27/2014 3:26 PM, Robert Nelson wrote:
>> Thanks to everyone for testing the beta images!
>>
>> In this last last week window I've rolled in many of your changes.
>>
>> So please continue to use the bug tracker:
>> http://bugs.elinux.org/projects/debian-image-releases
>
> I haven't been able to get the elinux bug tracker to let me post
> anything, so forgive me for posting a few comments here.  These are from
> the 3/19 image, so I apologize if any have been addressed, and they
> mostly fall under "personal preference" rather than actual bugs.
>
> * I like to add console=tty0 so startup kernel messages go to both the
> serial console and to the HDMI screen, if connected.  While less
> information is displayed with systemd than previously, if the kernel
> hangs for some reason at boot this could avoid the need for a serial
> cable which a lot of people won't have.

I think i'm going to enable this too..

> * Given the target audience, I would add a terminal short-cut on the
> application launch bar next to the web browser.  It's not hard to get to
> on the menu, but that's one of the first changes I made to the 3/19 image.

Sounds like a nice addon, do you have an example i can pull in?

> * I'm not sure who made the black desktop background, but I find it
> horrid (just the black part...the beagle is cute!) and would much rather
> see something lighter.  I'm not aware of any other GUI environment that
> ships with a black background as default, and out of all the
> professional programmers I know, only one uses this sort of color scheme.

I stole it from the Angstrom image. We just got to be careful, as it's
only 16bit, so some colors combos look odd.

> I'm working through the process of trying to install MachineKit /
> LinuxCNC via packages (including the kernel and Xenomai user-mode), and
> will switch to the new image for further testing.
>
> Keep up the great work!

Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/