You need to find and read sources about embedded Linux. Then, since your
project could be done using any number of languages, you need to figure
that out too. Past that, you're going to have to figure out what hardware
you're going to use. Which will indicate if you're using SPI. I2C, UART,
onboard ADC's or PWM's etc.

In your shoes, I'd start off with and continue using these instructions:
https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black. You can use either
Debian or Ubuntu with these build instructions. I've been using these
instructions since last year ( around 14 or slightly more months ), and
they're very consistent.

You could also start off with a premade Debian console image if you like.

You can definitely compile natively on the board, but if you plan on cross
compiling, you're going to need to understand the gcc toolchain thoroughly.
For setup and use.

Any other specific questions ?