William Hermans <yyrk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [-- text/plain, encoding 7bit, charset: UTF-8, 51 lines --]
>
> You need to find and read sources about embedded Linux. Then, since your
> project could be done using any number of languages, you need to figure
> that out too. Past that, you're going to have to figure out what hardware
> you're going to use. Which will indicate if you're using SPI. I2C, UART,
> onboard ADC's or PWM's etc.
>
> In your shoes, I'd start off with and continue using these instructions:
> https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black. You can use either
> Debian or Ubuntu with these build instructions. I've been using these
> instructions since last year ( around 14 or slightly more months ), and
> they're very consistent.
>
> You could also start off with a premade Debian console image if you like.
>
> You can definitely compile natively on the board, but if you plan on cross
> compiling, you're going to need to understand the gcc toolchain thoroughly.
> For setup and use.

Why compile anything?  For the proposed project (Greenhouse control)
speed is not any sort of priority so use an interpreted language, the
obvious choice on BBB is Python.

... and I am also a long in the tooth software engineer with maybe 30
years of experience writing C, but I'd still recommend going with
Python on this sort of project.

--
Chris Green
ยท