On 09/05/2014 10:04 AM, William Hermans wrote:

>     /Why compile anything?  For the proposed project (Greenhouse control)/
>     /speed is not any sort of priority so use an interpreted language,
>     the/
>     /obvious choice on BBB is Python./
>

> Well, the obvious choice to me is Nodejs, and am betting since this
> person has 35 years experience in related fields, that C is a
> possibility as well.
>
> I've only been programming for 20 or so years . . . so what the hell
> do i know ?
>

> On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 1:51 AM, <c...@isbd.net <mailto:c...@isbd.net>> wrote:
>
>     William Hermans <yyrk...@gmail.com <mailto:yyrk...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > [-- text/plain, encoding 7bit, charset: UTF-8, 51 lines --]
>     >
>     > You need to find and read sources about embedded Linux. Then,
>     since your
>     > project could be done using any number of languages, you need to
>     figure
>     > that out too. Past that, you're going to have to figure out what
>     hardware
>     > you're going to use. Which will indicate if you're using SPI.
>     I2C, UART,
>     > onboard ADC's or PWM's etc.
>     >
>     > In your shoes, I'd start off with and continue using these
>     instructions:
>     > https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black. You can
>     use either
>     > Debian or Ubuntu with these build instructions. I've been using
>     these
>     > instructions since last year ( around 14 or slightly more months
>     ), and
>     > they're very consistent.
>     >
>     > You could also start off with a premade Debian console image if
>     you like.
>     >
>     > You can definitely compile natively on the board, but if you
>     plan on cross
>     > compiling, you're going to need to understand the gcc toolchain
>     thoroughly.
>     > For setup and use.
>     >
>     Why compile anything?  For the proposed project (Greenhouse control)
>     speed is not any sort of priority so use an interpreted language, the
>     obvious choice on BBB is Python.
>
>     ... and I am also a long in the tooth software engineer with maybe 30
>     years of experience writing C, but I'd still recommend going with
>     Python on this sort of project.
>
>     --
>     Chris Green
>     ยท
>
>     --

I actually have done a similar control for aeroponics room setups. We
are releasing it public in roughly a month once the boards come back and
we finish testing on the new hardware run.

Very easily can be adapted to greenhouse control as I am sure you're
after the same things, water, temp, humidity, vpd, ph, ppm, disolved
oxygen, dew point, flood detection, co2, lumens/lux, uvb, darkness light
leak detection and all the rest of the goodness for optimal
environmental control. Even the cooling opener could be adjusted/adapted
to fit to automate opening roof panels.

Ours is all in python and php with darkhttpd as the webserver. I dispise
nodejs, it reminds me of the cluster that ruby gems are.