> OTOH, I am still wondering if my kernel isn't the root cause. It seems
> clear that other people have been able to get ADC control from the PRU, but
> with 3.8 or 4.1 kernels. I could revert to an older kernel version, but
> that feels like the wrong approach. I have also been looking at the IIO
> system, which may be a better approach as it would be more "standard" and
> portable than using the PRU. (But I *like* using the PRU - it's a nice
> hammer looking for a nail!)

it could be that I'm thinking of OCP port, which you're already enabling.

So, yes . . . it could be your kernel, but I some how doubt that is the
issue here. One thing you could do is enable the ADC's from userspace using
cape manager, and set the ADC into continuous mode. Like so:
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Linux_Core_ADC_User%27s_Guide#Continuous_Mode.
Then just read from FIF0DATA using the PRU's.

Then perhaps you can narrow things down some. This is how I initially used
/dev/mem + mmap() for the ADC's then I found this project:
https://github.com/ehayon/BeagleBone-GPIO, examined the code, and
customized one of the header files for my own needs. Then just used that.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORq-kZ3QXihj%3D5h8faM_RETTPDfGqKzdN6YdF24WYHoynw%40mail.gmail.com.