My initial thought was the capacitors by the UART Groove connector as here:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/beagleboard/BH-PUmjv6O4/_sYj5Av1BgAJ , but
upon inspection of BBG schematics
(https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SeeedDocument/BeagleBone_Green/master/resources/BEAGLEBONE_GREEN_V1.pdf

page 10) there should be no such capacitors. However it might still be
worth verifying.

This might also be a kernel thing - it seems the maintainers are not really
testing specific hardware in kernel versions closer to mainline, only
whether it generally runs. I've never tested 4.14.x but I had serious
issues even with 4.9.x and I've found 4.4.x to work the best. Unless your
board is somehow exposed to the internet, I'd stick with the older but
proven version.

With my solution I didn't use config-pin utility and relied on custom
device tree instead. It might be required to not only enable the pins but
also setup the bus itself. Note the big "&spi0 {}" block:
https://github.com/GroupOfRobots/RobotConfig/blob/master/DevTree/am335x-bonegreen-irys.dtsi

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/8b93107e-b66d-4eca-b864-115ce2312381%40googlegroups.com.