Cheers Rob for taking time out to reply....

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for all the help
and support you are providing to us beginners....
I have solved so many of my queries by seeing your replies in other

Back to where I was....
The whole point of this exercise was to start teaching myself device driver
And you are right, I have learned about how the linux distro for embedded
systems is created....

Looks like it will be considerable work required to create a proper distro
and that is not my target...

So here is the new strategy....
I have downloaded and flash my BBB with latest debian image (Debian 9.3

If my understanding is correct then to create loadable modules, I need
kernel headers for this....
Could you be kind enough to guide me as where I can get it for Debian 9.3

Also a pointer on how to cross compile these loadable modules...

Hemant Kapoor

On Thursday, 22 February 2018 11:49:12 UTC, Hemant Kapoor wrote:
> Hello All,
> I have followed instructions @
> and was successfully able to run it on my beaglebone back vis SD card.
> It would be very helpful if could please clarify below doubts:
> 1. uEnv.txt:
> I ended up with two versions of uenv.txt
> a. /media/rootfs/ - where uEnv.txt was mentioned under headline "If you
> don't want to clear out the old Bootloader in eMMC add this uEnv.txt to
> /media/rootfs/"
> I am still not sure what this means
> b./media/rootfs/boot/uEnv.txt - which contains uname_r=<my kernel version>
> Can someone please explain me which uEnv.txt does u-boot parses
> 2. What needs to be done to connect beaglebone black to internet via usb
> for this image.
> 3. Finally where can I find beginers guide on how u-boot overlay works.
> Thanks...

For more options, visit
For more options, visit