Cheers Rob for taking time out to reply....

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for all the help
and support you are providing to us beginners....
I have solved so many of my queries by seeing your replies in other
posts....

Back to where I was....
The whole point of this exercise was to start teaching myself device driver
development....
And you are right, I have learned about how the linux distro for embedded
systems is created....

Looks like it will be considerable work required to create a proper distro
and that is not my target...

So here is the new strategy....
I have downloaded and flash my BBB with latest debian image (Debian 9.3
2018-01-28).

If my understanding is correct then to create loadable modules, I need
kernel headers for this....
Could you be kind enough to guide me as where I can get it for Debian 9.3
2018-01-28....

Also a pointer on how to cross compile these loadable modules...

Regards,
Hemant Kapoor

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/732d25f6-48d6-4f85-9470-8d490b14dab5%40googlegroups.com.