Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 1:17 PM, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
> > Graham <gra...@flex-radio.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> From memory it was:
> >>
> >> Samsung 128GB up to 80MB/s EVO Class 10 Micro SDXC Card
> >>
> > Thanks, that gives me lots of 'headroom' when compared with what I'm
> > actually likely to need/use.
>
> fyi: You'll need to be careful with SDXC. The am335x mmc/sdio
> controller IP is only 100% rated for SDHC (max 32GB). (It doesn't
> support the new SDXC voltages or all the new speeds...)
>
> So stick with name brand "SDXC" microSD cards and test "1" before you buy
> many.
>
> Likewise here, Samsung/Sandisk SDXC's seem to work fine.. ;)

Thanks Robert, I don't even need anything like 32Gb, my 4Gb eMMC based
BBB (running Debian 7) is only half full still.  Debian 9 won't need
much more space so I can still fit happily in 4Gb.

My question was more to find out what microSD cards I could use for
installing the new OS.

Plus I have two older BBBs with only 2Gb which is decidedly tight so
using a microSD card instead would provide more space so I can use
them as backup systems.  Is there any difference in speed between eMMC
and microSD (though presumably SD cards vary in speed)?

Presumably one can remove /boot from the eMMC card and thus force
booting from the microSD.

--
Chris Green
ยท