At Fri, 9 Aug 2019 16:23:26 -0700 (PDT) beagleboard@googlegroups.com wrote:

> Robert:
>
> It has been a while, almost a year since I did any testing with the
> PocketBeagle.
> But I don't think anything has changed relative to my comments below.
> Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong, and some things have been fixed.
>
> P1-Pin-1 is Vin, and is equivalent to the Barrel Jack input on the
> Beaglebone Black, it
> is a separate power supply input, and is isolated from the microUSB
> connector power.
>
> P1-Pin-7 is hardwired to the +5 pin on the microUSB connector, USB Port 0.
> It is not clear from the schematic, but is visible if you view the PCB
> board plots.
> Or check it with an Ohmmeter.
>
> I found that the PocketBeagle, when powered exclusively by P1-Pin-1 would
> randomly
> crash about once every 24 hours of operation, without any apparent reason,
> or
> any clue in the logs. I hope that this has been fixed, but I have seen
> other reports
> since I initially reported it, and nothing since that reported a fix.

Well, I am not expecting an application that would run 24/7.  I am working on
model RR control circuits.  It does not sound like this should be an immediate
problem.

> The only workaround I found was to power P1-Pin-1 and P1-Pin-7 in parallel,
> in which case
> it does not crash, but now there is no isolation between USB +5V and your
> independent
> PB power supply, and, as you are concerned about, all kinds of cross-feed
> and back
> powering can occur.

That does not sound like a really good idea.

Question: if the board was powered from P1-Pin-1 *and* the USB will there be
problems?  Right now, that is my main concern.  Jacking in the USB (for file
transfer mostly, since I can use the serial console for debugging) while the
board is being powered via P1-Pin-1 is something I'd like to be able to do,
but don't want to fry anything.

> I suggest you read the email thread "PocketBeagles are Unstable" started
> 11/24/2017

Will have a look.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
hel...@deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services