I had to use the add_implicit_prices plugin (
https://bitbucket.org/blais/beancount/src/5e2dcbfc81b15cfbaa9d743ee87d8f4f26eaf0cb/src/python/beancount/plugins/implicit_prices.py?at=default&fileviewer=file-view-default)
to turn entries like these into prices.

You should try out my unrealized_periodic plugin (
https://github.com/xentac/beancount-plugins-xentac).  Instead of a single
transaction, I create monthly transactions tracking gains over time.  It
uses the same calculation code, it's just an extension to remove the old
unrealized amount and add the new unrealized amount in the same transaction
each month.  I like it because it better represents gains over time.
Ideally it would update gains every time the price changes, but that leads
to too many transactions and the plugin goes really slowly.