On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Matthew Harris <mharris...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> In the Language manual, you say a Price directive is synthesized when a
> posting has a cost or price. But I get the "A valid price for HOUSE/USD
> could not be found" warning with
>
> 2005-05-24 * "Home Purchase"
>   Assets:Home  1 HOUSE {100000.00 USD}
>   Liabilities:Mortgage  -100000.00 USD

This does not create a price directive, that's the problem.

> and
>
> 2005-05-24 * "Home Purchase"
>   Assets:Home  1 HOUSE {100000.00 USD} @ 100000.00 USD
>   Liabilities:Mortgage  -100000.00 USD

Same here.
However, if you added the implicit_prices plugin, it will generate a price
directive based on the "@ 100000.00 USD" and you'd be fine.

but not

> 2005-05-24 * "Home Purchase"
>   Assets:Home  1 HOUSE {100000.00 USD}
>   Liabilities:Mortgage  -100000.00 USD
> 2005-05-24 price HOUSE 1000000.00 USD

This works because you provide an explicit price directive.

> What am I doing wrong? A short example in the Cookbook would be helpful.

Have you tried debugging using "bean-query <file> print" ?
This is a way you can print all the interpreted directives and see if a
Price directive is present or not.

> On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 6:40:47 PM UTC-7, Martin Blais wrote:
>>
>> Matthew: This is not a bug, but rather a choice I made a while ago that
>> instead of silently ignoring the unrealized gains if you didn't provide
>> some price information, to warn about it instead:
>> https://bitbucket.org/blais/beancount/src/tip/src/python/bea
>> ncount/plugins/unrealized.py?fileviewer=file-view-default#
>> unrealized.py-89
>>
>> If you prefer I could simply ignore the error here and skip the addition
>> of an unrealized gain. Let me know if you think this is sensible.
>> (Personally I think it's more sensible for you to provide an estimate price
>> value for your home, every year, based on comparables.)
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Jason Chu <xen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I had to use the add_implicit_prices plugin (
>>> https://bitbucket.org/blais/beancount/src/5e2dcbfc81b15cfba
>>> a9d743ee87d8f4f26eaf0cb/src/python/beancount/plugins/