On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 1:26 AM, <jkep...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not hugely excited about Google products in general due to their
> corrosively broad erosion of privacy in society (same thing goes for
> Facebook's platform in my opinion).

No comment.

> But given that you've found Google Docs efficient for producing quality
> documentation, great. Having good documentation is really helpful.

It's unparalleled. Static documentation doesn't even come close. The
advantages are two-fold it's the effective collaboration (theoretically
possible collaboration is pointless if nobody ever sends a patch) and the
immediacy of it (even I wouldn't bother loading up the file in Emacs and
finding the trouble spot if I see a typo in the midst of doing something
else). The problem with open source solutions is that users are programmers
and focus their attention on the artifact (the file format), which is
mostly irrelevant for the reader. The problem to solve is "How do I work to
best to produce a relevant text?" "How do I know if what I wrote is
unclear?"

Innovation sometimes requires doing unusual things. I'm not one to follow
the crowd, I think for myself (and the OSS crowd really is just another
crowd, and in some areas, a very conservative one at that). Yes, it's weird
for an open source project, but we've learned useful things from the
experience. Nothing is perfect.

However, I agree with Zhoyun Wei that I find the Google Docs solution
> difficult to search against all the beancount documentation when I'm
> looking for something.
>
> Is there an easy way to search beancount's documentation within Google
> Docs?

AFAIK you can search from the Drive interface. Just add the word
"beancount" and some terms.

Thanks!