OK so that's sounding like this is really not supported as a top-level task.

It seems quite simple:

1. figure out the correct artist / album for mp3 file by searching
musicbrainz, discogs, etc. (beets does this)

2. tag the mp3 file with that artist / album that musicbrainz lists for the
track, erasing anything currently there (beets will not do this unless I
manually edit each by hand and re-type the name that it already has right
there)

3. place in the correct directory

Basically beets won't allow me to do this without manually editing the id3
tags, even though beets has already made me go through every track
individually and look up the musicbrainz id for each.  It's literally
throwing away the information it's already found and which I want to
keep.    I'm a programmer so there's no reason for me to edit things
individually when the data is there to automate it.

Which means I'm back to, "hey why don't I write a script to hit musicbrainz
for all my mp3s and force them to be cataloged correctly" .     I'm looking
into the beets plugin process as well but that seems like I really have to
code to the internals of Beets (like maybe flipping is_album=True in
SingletonimportTask, not sure) - not really sure that's worth it here.

, and if I'm going to get into manual id3 tag editing, Ithen I'd just write
a script myself to hit the musicbrainz API and write the data.  It refuses
to ignore or erase the incorrect album / artist.