We should all note the almost-haiku once again (with emphasis added to the parts people forget):
SLOW DOWN FIRST give audible warning WAIT FOR REACTION As Linda found out, the bicyclist behind her didn't give enough time to allow the message to sink in. If you can't get out "passing on your left" and still have time for the person to react to your warning before passing, you are going too fast and/or not giving the warning early enough. I have had people insist on moving left to let me pass, or even split down the middle of a group. Although it's not my preferred way to go, as long as we both recognize that a passing maneuver is about to occur, and we avoid contact, it's all good. On a humorous side, a couple weeks ago I was coming home on the Lakeshore Path through campus in the evening, and the first wave of students had just moved into the dorms. A very large clump of students (20-25?) was walking west, the same direction I was traveling by bike. As I approached the group, I slowed to a crawl, and said, "Passing on the left." No reaction. "Excuse me?" No reaction. "Um, I'd like to pass!" A few students moved aside. I passed them, and tried again. "Excuse me! Hello?! Coming through here on a bike." A few more students moved aside as I continued to call out. Finally, one of the more tuned in students yelled, "Hey, you guys, people are trying to get through!" "Thanks," I said as I finally saw clear space in front of me. "Sorry," she said, "We're freshmen." Uh huh. Robbie Webber Bike Walk Madison Steering Committee www.bikewalkmadison.org Join our group on Facebook! On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Linda Kietzer<[email protected]> wrote: > Curious: Is it ever okay to pass on the right? I ask because a few weeks ago > while biking on the eastside bikepath, a biker behind me said "passing on > your ..." and when I heard that, I automatically veered to the right side of > the path, when s/he finished the sentence "... right!" I very nearly hit > that person, s/he nearly drove into the bushes, and I was SO irritated. > Pass on the left, yes? > > > > > > > --- On Tue, 9/8/09, Ross, Arthur <[email protected]> wrote: > > From: Ross, Arthur <[email protected]> > Subject: Re: [Bikies] A Modest Proposal, Bikers Take the High Road / Biking > Rules Street Code > To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]> > Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 3:46 PM > > B.C. Brown wrote <I'm one of those folks (whether on bike or on foot) who is > easily auditorily startled (and maybe kinesthetically dyslexic) and liable > to veer left when I hear "left."> > > This is why the recommended passing procedure includes this not quite haiku > titled Passing > > Passing > > slow down first > give audible warning > wait for reaction > . > > Arthur > ________________________________ > From: [email protected] > [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of B.C. Brown > Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 9:56 AM > To: [email protected] > Subject: Re: [Bikies] A Modest Proposal, Bikers Take the High Road / Biking > Rules Street Code > > Just want to register agreement with John's comments re "passing." > > Thanks, > bcb > On Sep 8, 2009, at 9:23 AM, [email protected] wrote: > > Thanks Steve for bringing the conversation back to the original topic. > > This is a really easy thing to do and is a good habit to get into even when > > you see people with headphones. Some actually have the volume low enough > > that they can hear you when you give warning. I have been experimenting > > recently, and just saying, "passing" in a friendly conversational tone seems > > to be the most effective. When I say "Left" or "Passing on your left," > > sometimes it startles people and they just hear the word "left" and think > > it's a command to move left. A simple message of "Passing" seems to be well > > understood and they don't follow the unintended subliminal message and move > > left. > > Thanks, > > John Rider > > The Bike Safety Guy > > -----Inline Attachment Follows----- > > _______________________________________________ > Bikies mailing list > [email protected] > http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org > > _______________________________________________ > Bikies mailing list > [email protected] > http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org > > _______________________________________________ Bikies mailing list [email protected] http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org
