Wisconsin Statutes updated and current through 2009 Act 39 and August 17,
2009 <http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0346.pdf>

346.803 Riding bicycle or electric personal assistive mobility device *on
bicycle way*.  (1) Every person operating a bicycle or electric personal
assistive mobility device upon a bicycle way shall:
(a) Exercise due care *and give an audible signal* when passing a bicycle or
electric personal assistive mobility device rider or a
pedestrian proceeding in the same direction.

346.804 Riding bicycle* on sidewalk*. When local authorities under s. 346.94
(1) permit bicycles on the sidewalk, every person
operating a bicycle upon a sidewalk shall yield the right-of-way to any
pedestrian and shall exercise due care *and give an
audible signal* when passing a bicycle or electric personal assistive
mobility device rider or a pedestrian proceeding in the same direction.

As a more practical matter, I estimate about 10% of the people I pass after
calmly alerting them with "Passing" or the like reply "Thank you" as I go
past them on Madison's paths.  They tend to be older pedestrians.  I think
it is both courteous and good PR for cycling.

And then there was the jogger who abruptly made a U-turn on the path,
evidently after reaching her personal turn-around point.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Kristine M. Niemann <[email protected]>wrote:

> I personally don't understand why people feel the need to say "passing on
> the left" in normal situations on the bike path anyway. If a person is
> riding on the right side of the line, NOT in the way of the approaching
> bike, then the approacher should simply pass with caution.  What do they
> think is going to happen?  The right lane rider is SUDDENLY going to veer
> out into the left lane without notice?  This is simply so ridiculous and I
> really wish people would just ride the path with confidence and courtesy
> rather than fear.  There is almost always plenty of room to pass, so I don't
> get it, and it's annoying.  Now riding on the road...that's another matter.
>
> kris
> ------------------------------
>
>
_______________________________________________
Bikies mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org

Reply via email to