I do ride with confidence on my bike, and as I have gotten older and (ahem...) 
wiser, I have also started giving others audible warning of my 
approach/passing.  I don't have a one-size-fits-all approach, rather I assess 
the situation and respond accordingly.  If I'm passing a small child, I slow 
way down and say something like "coming up behind you", and when they swerve 
(as they always do, it seems, whether I say something or not), I say something 
reassuring, like, "It's okay, have fun".  That way they gain a positive 
experience and I daresay it does increase their awareness as well, but mostly 
it puts their parents at ease- knowing that I know how to ride safely around 
their kids.  When I am approaching casual walkers, distracted dog-walkers, 
rollerbladers, etc. I either do a bell-ring or an audible warning- there is a 
lot to be said for tone-of-voice.  I not only try to ride with confidence, but 
also speak with confidence and in a non-aggressive tone.  I try to give people
 adequate notice as well- which means saying something sooner than later.  I 
think a lot of cyclists do forget how quickly a bike seems to approach a ped 
from the ped's point-of-view. 

I find that riding safely and predictably helps the most.  I also think that it 
is totally appropriate to use audible signals on a multi-use path.  I receive a 
positive response from nearly all the folks that I give warning to (smiles, 
"thanks", slight move-overs, hand waves).  Again, I just think of it as one 
human communicating with another, regardless of the mode of transport.

There's my 2 bits.

-India
----- Original Message -----
From: Doug Adler <[email protected]>
Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:50 pm
Subject: Re: [Bikies] Rules Street Code
To: [email protected]

>   
> 
> Thanks for the alternate view, Kris.  I'm in the middle on this one
> myself.  First I'm not sure most walkers/joggers appreciate the notice
> - anybody done a poll?  I've had several on foot (especially
> side-by-side people) practically jump off the path, when I was going by
> with 3 feet to spare already.  It can seem the equivalent of a car
> honking as they approach a bike from behind; maybe ok on an empty road
> if done far enough back but pretty annoying if everyone does it in
> town.  I EXPECT cars to be passing me all I care is that they leave a
> safe space.  And most times on the trail you can pass with as much room
> as cars give on the street, so maybe trail users should just get used
> to it, serious crash risks are low after all.   
> 
> 
> 
> On the other hand there are times when I feel safer saying something
> like when: passing bikes who are already near the centerline, or might
> be about to move over for slower traffic we are closing on, anytime
> children are involved, anytime pets are involved, whenever I 'm passing
> with less than arms length.   
> 
> 
> 
> Doug
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Kristine M. Niemann wrote:
> 
>   
>   
>   I
> personally don't understand why people feel the need to say "passing on
> the left" in normal situations on the bike path anyway. If a person is
> riding on the right side of the line, NOT in the way of the approaching
> bike, then the approacher should simply pass with caution.  What do
> they think is going to happen?  The right lane rider is SUDDENLY going
> to veer out into the left lane without notice?  This is simply so
> ridiculous and I really wish people would just ride the path with
> confidence and courtesy rather than fear.  There is almost always
> plenty of room to pass, so I don't get it, and it's annoying.  Now
> riding on the road...that's another matter.
> 
>   
> 
> kris
> 
>   
>   
>   
>   
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Bikies mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org
_______________________________________________
Bikies mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org

Reply via email to