Also disappointing is Alder Rhodes-Conway's statement that 

 

"You can't force citizens to accept solutions," [to accommodate bicyclists,
pedestrians, transit users]...because refusing to make changes to the road to
accommodate road users not in private automobiles IS forcing citizens to
accept a solution [to accommodate cars at the expense of all the other road
users], just not a particularly equitable one.

 

I, too, would love to go to Manna Café, or take my kid to Warner Park to see
a Mallards game. But traveling by bike to anyplace on North Sherman Ave is so
difficult and dangerous that we just don't go to the Northside, even though
it's much closer to us than, say, Dudgeon Monroe. Manna Café is only 1.7
miles from my house (and that's going two blocks out of my way to get across
Eastwood Ave, another subject for another debate), but it may as well be 170
miles by bike.

 

Part of what makes for successful economic development successful is not only
making it easier to get somewhere, but also making it easy to get AROUND
somewhere once you get there.

But apparently accommodating fast motor-vehicle through-traffic is more
important than economic development.

 

See, e.g., www.wiserearth.org/solution/view/a5ea5eea80eb5344d77e137db76d6bec

 

For many economic statistics on how various street improvements *that benefit
pedestrians* affect not just the amount of foot traffic, but increase retail
sales (by "at least 10%), increase home prices on quieter streets by as much
as 8%, etc. etc.

 

Wonder how much making North Sherman a complete street would actually cost
once you factor in the economic development foregone?

chuck

 

________________________________

On Behalf Of [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: [Bikies] still no bike lanes on Sherman

 

The funny thing about this is that, although I live on Sherman Ave., I
patronize almost none of the businesses on it because it's so difficult to
bike. For example, I regularly bike to the hardware store on Willy St, even
though the True Value on Sherman is closer, because the route to Willy St. is
safer. Manna Cafe is close by, too, but I rarely because it's just unpleasant
getting there. I'm more likely to get coffee somewhere on Johnson, Washington
or Willy.

Kathryn



 

_______________________________________________
Bikies mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org

Reply via email to