I think Don Nymann was on target as to why, but here's my summation:
1) They only had TWLTL for a couple of blocks, so switching in and out of that
mode made it more complex than a full TWLTL.
2) The speeders on N. Sherman Ave. will oppose anything that might make them
wait behind Granny instead of zooming around on the right.
At one point they had set the right turn from N. Sherman onto regular Sherman
(at the start of Fordem) as illegal during rush hour. That was similarly
kiboshed by the speeders. Although now the speeders that come down Sherman are
pretty much financing the Village of Maple Bluff via their speed traps.
------------
Patrick Lenon
> Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 13:22:33 -0700
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [Bikies] still no bike lanes on Sherman
>
> I keep hearing that when they tried TWLTL on N. Sherman a few years ago,
> it was a disaster, but I don't understand why. What bothered people about
> that configuration? What should be done differently if they try again?
>
>
>
> Patrick Lenon wrote:
> >
> > I live on "regular not North" Sherman, as I constantly have to tell
> > delivery people, and no, I don't ride North Sherman either. If I have to
> > get somewhere on North Sherman and can't cut through Maple Bluff I ride
> > the sidewalks. It's the only place in the city where I have to do that.
> >
> > I was around when they tried a stretch of TWLTL right by Northgate. The
> > alder is right, it was massively unpopular. Many folks never quite
> > figured it out. People might handle it better if it was the whole length
> > of Sherman, or at least until it becomes Fordem. However, there are a lot
> > of people that use N. Sherman as an expressway and they will demand the 4
> > lanes remain.
> >
> > Another problem is that Sherman seems to be an odd size, exactly wide
> > enough for 4 narrow lanes but not very flexible for anything else.
> >
> > I'd like to see one of two things:
> >
> > 1) Switch N. Sherman to two lanes plus bike lanes, and let the speeders
> > whine until they get used to it or re-route to Packers/Northport.
> >
> > 2) Alternate would be a north/south bike path behind (east of) Northgate,
> > maybe through the rail corridor? Could that link up with the proposed
> > North side to downtown cut through? Just speculatin' here.
> >
> > ------------
> > Patrick Lenon
> >
> >
> >
> > Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:34:55 -0500
> > From: [email protected]
> > To: [email protected]
> > CC: [email protected]
> > Subject: Re: [Bikies] still no bike lanes on Sherman
> >
> > Kathryn (and others with similar feelings and experience) -
> >
> > I hope you have expressed your concerns and shopping habits to the owners
> > of those businesses. That is one of the primary ways to get this resolved
> > - get the business community to see that bike lanes will IMPROVE access to
> > their businesses.
> >
> >
> > Right now they fear the Two-way Left Turn Lane (TWLTL) because they think
> > people won't be able to make a left to get to their store. Or people won't
> > drive on Sherman at all because it will be congested or confusing. All
> > unfounded. It will be easier to drive and make a turn on Sherman with the
> > new design.
> >
> >
> > We have to speak up instead of accepting second class status on the road
> > or in parking accommodations. I assure you that people driving speak up
> > when they don't like the traffic or parking situation near a business!
> >
> > Robbie Webber
> > Bike Walk Madison Steering Committee
> > www.bikewalkmadison.org
> > Join our group on Facebook!
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 10:11 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >
> > The funny thing about this is that, although I live on Sherman Ave., I
> > patronize almost none of the businesses on it because it's so difficult to
> > bike.
> >
> > _________________________________________________________________
> > Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft.
> > http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/_______________________________________________
> > Bikies mailing list
> > [email protected]
> > http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> Bikies mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org
_________________________________________________________________
Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection.
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/_______________________________________________
Bikies mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org