Here is a link to bicycle counting in Portland, OR.

http://www.portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm?c=44671&;

At the bottom of the page there is another link to instructions on bike
counting and a diagram of how to tally at street corners:

http://www.portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm?c=44671&a=251267

-Kristy

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 6:40 AM, Matthew Berigan <[email protected]>wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Is there a guide (Madison, national, BFW or otherwise) to* how one
> conducts* bicycle traffic counts and surveys specific to bike use in urban
> environments? I know that the Census does it as part of the American
> Community Survey (door-to-door) but I'm looking for a tool for activists,
> something that I might convert for use here in my city in Brazil or at least
> to share ideas with other cicloativistas
>
> Minneapolis (claims to be #2 bike city in the U.S.) discusses their
> location and count methodology a bit in:
> http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/bicycles/Count_Report.pdf  (Dept. of
> Public Works - Bicycle and Pedestrian Counts)
> ...and also:
>
> http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/bicycles/BicyclistPedestrianCountReport2008.pdf
>
> And I love their bike count map at:
> http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/bicycles/Bike_Counts.pdf
>
> What I'm looking for is the existence of some methodology that *bike
> activists* use to agglomerate data needed to generate appropriate
> attention of politicians. I know. It seems almost too easy. Get a bunch of
> people to stand on different street locations where bike tend to travel and
> gather data - *AND* - I just don't want to miss the boat and dedicate time
> and energy to doing something one way when there might be an accepted way in
> which data integrates between various localities.
>
>
> Thx
> Matthew
> 7°13'6.07"S,  35°53'5.17"W
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Bikies mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org
>
>
_______________________________________________
Bikies mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org

Reply via email to