Hello and thanks again for your answers and interest.

I'll try to address and clarify all the issues below:

RE: Marie Roch
>I would begin by not using MP3 recordings

We're recording AIFF or WAV files, 24bit 48KHz,
the linked file was compressed in mp3 for practical
purposes.


RE: Jerome Sueur / Corixidae 

It was in a small artificial(?) lake/pond, quite shallow, 
during summertime in Switzerland.



RE: justin.halls
>A cautionary tale

Unfortunately I don't have access to that document...
Should I take this "cautionary" advice as a warning?
Could we be attacked by those insects? (just kidding, 
but curious about the "cautionary").


RE: Stim Wilcox
>But I can't hear them on my computer, alas, though the sound track shows.

Are you referring to my link? 
Did you try control+click "save link as..." ?



RE: Braulio León
>What I would recomend first is a little of research about what animal you
>can find in those lakes and ponds, because the equipment you need will
>depend of what band of frequencies you want to record. You cannot always
>expect to find the same animals, as well the same sounds. It is not only a
>equipment problem, it will depend on what season you are recording, the
>size of the pond or the lake that may change the biological parameters and
>at the same time the type of sounds you could get.

Well, we don't know what to expect, and weren't looking for
anything in particular - we "just" want to aurally observe
any underwater organic sound activity we may find in lakes,
ponds and rivers in Europe and central Russia from 35°N latitude 
upwards. So, probably aquatic insects and, I can imagine, some
fishes...

About fishes: what could we expect to hear in terms of species
and of types of sounds (= freq. range)? If I'm not wrong, that
should be below 10KHz - so to reiterate my question: would any 
relatively low-cost 48V electrostatic hydrophone do the job?
We'd love a Brüel/Kjaer hydrophone (we have some B&K/DPA mics 
so we could imagine that with one of those...) but that's out 
of our budget now...

The recording device is a Tascam DR-100, sometimes a Sound 
Devices 722, file format is WAV, 48KHz, 24bits.

Kind regards!
Gianluca


Reply via email to