Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Replay attacks make BIP148 and BIP149 untennable
Local Time: June 7, 2017 3:38 AM
UTC Time: June 7, 2017 12:38 AM
From: cont...@taoeffect.com
To: Kekcoin <kekc...@protonmail.com>
Anthony Towns <a...@erisian.com.au>, bitcoin-dev@lists.linuxfoundation.org
<bitcoin-dev@lists.linuxfoundation.org>

Please read my email more carefully; the replay threat would be moot because
there would be no alternative chain to replay the TX on,

In order to *get to that point*, you need >51%.

Not only that, but, if you started out with <51%, then you need >>51% in order
to *catch up* and replace the large number of blocks added to the legacy chain
in the mean time.

So, since >51% is _required_ for BIP148 to succeed (and likely >>51%)... you
might as well do as SegWit did originally, or lower the threshold to 80% or
something (as BIP91 does).

Without replay protection at the outset, BIP148, as far as I can tell, isn't a
threat to miners.

--
Please do not email me anything that you are not comfortable also sharing with
the NSA.