Gregory wrote:
> I see the inner loop of construction and lookup are free of
> non-constant divmod. This will result in implementations being
> needlessly slow

Ahh, sipa brought this up other day, but I thought he was referring to the
coding loop (which uses a power of 2 divisor/modulus), not the
siphash-then-reduce loop.

http://lemire.me/blog/2016/06/27/a-fast-alternative-to-the-modulo-reduction/
> which has the same non-uniformity as mod but needs only a multiply and
> shift.

Very cool, I wasn't aware of the existence of such a mapping.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from my interpretation we can't use that
method as described as we need to output 64-bit integers rather than
32-bit integers. A range of 32-bits would be constrain the number of items
we could encode to be ~4096 to ensure that we don't overflow with fp
values such as 20 (which we currently use in our code).

If filter commitment are to be considered for a soft-fork in the future,
then we should definitely optimize the construction of the filters as much
as possible! I'll look into that paper you referenced to get a feel for
just how complex the optimization would be.

> Shouldn't all cases in your spec where you have N=transactions be
> n=indexed-outputs? Otherwise, I think your golomb parameter and false
> positive rate are wrong.

Yep! Nice catch. Our code is correct, but mistake in the spec was an
oversight on my part. I've pushed a commit[1] to the bip repo referenced
in the OP to fix this error.

I've also pushed another commit to explicitly take advantage of the fact
that P is a power-of-two within the coding loop [2].

-- Laolu

[1]:
https://github.com/Roasbeef/bips/commit/bc5c6d6797f3df1c4a44213963ba12e72122163d
[2]: