Tomas wrote:
> A rough estimate would indicate this to be about 2-2.5x as big per block
> as your proposal, but comes with rather different security
> characteristics, and would not require download since genesis.

Our proposal _doesnt_ require downloading from genesis, if by
"downloading" you mean downloading all the blocks. Clients only need to
sync the block+filter headers, then (if they don't care about historical
blocks), will download filters from their "birthday" onwards.

> The client could verify the TXIDs against the merkle root with a much
> stronger (PoW) guarantee compared to the guarantee based on the assumption
> of peers being distinct, which your proposal seems to make

Our proposal only makes a "one honest peer" assumption, which is the same
as any other operating mode. Also as client still download all the
headers, they're able to verify PoW conformance/work as normal.

> I don't completely understand the benefit of making the outpoints and
> pubkey hashes (weakly) verifiable. These only serve as notifications and
> therefore do not seem to introduce an attack vector.

Not sure what you mean by this. Care to elaborate?

> I think client-side filtering is definitely an important route to take,
> but is it worth compressing away the information to verify the merkle
> root?

That's not the case with our proposal. Clients get the _entire_ block (if
they need it), so they can verify the merkle root as normal. Unless one of
us is misinterpreting the other here.

-- Laolu