The reason that BIP37 presents a long list of problems is that it is a
client-server scenario wedged into a peer-to-peer network. The only possible
excuse for this design was implementation shortcut.

As this thread and others demonstrate, reproducing this design flaw will not
eliminate the problems. The fact that there are many wallets dependent upon it
is an unfortunate consequence of the original sin, but is not likely to last.
There is no rationale for node operators to support wallets apart from their
own. As a node implementer interested in privacy, security and scalability, I
would never waste the time to code BIP37, or and client-server feature into the
P2P protocol, especially one that delegates some aspect of validation.

Other nodes (servers) provide independent, securable, client-server interfaces.
Many of these are made available as community servers for use at no charge.
They could also provide mechanisms for operator payment without polluting the
P2P network.

However as a community we should be working toward full node wallets. A secured
personal node/server can support remote mobile wallets with security, privacy
and no wasted bandwidth. And if we avoid counterproductive increases in
blockchain growth rate, full nodes will eventually be able to run on mobile
platforms with no difficulty whatsoever. A wallet that delegates full
validation to node operators is just another centralization pressure that we do
not need.