We had an issue with Vit B deficiency this winter with our ABB as we were
finishing them on grain and they were not eating enough forage.  This was a
double edged sword as this year we had a drought, and so we were using grain to
cut down on hay consumption to save hay.  (There just wasn't any to buy, never
mind the exorbitant prices!, and grain was cheap.)
Anyhow, we lost a couple of lambs, and they die really fast, so we were not
possitive what it was that was killing them. All were our largest and
healthiest wethers.  We first thought pulpy kidney, and vaccinated for that,
then were good for about 2 weeks. Then our young guardian dog mauled one and we
second guessed that that was the problem, but then caught another wether that
was down and rushed him to the vet.  A shot of Vit B and within 12 hours he was
good again, so everyone got a shot.  Now, we add vit B to their grain (though I
have read that oral consumption is not as good, but seems to be working).
Problem is that it is such a tiny amount to add!  (about an 1/8 of a teaspoon
for 20 bushels of rolled grain).  Very tricky to administer.  You can get it
added to a custom mineral mix, but they will usually only mix a mini bulk bag
at a time.  WAY too much for us!

Anyhow, moral of the story, lesson learned and really, our finishing time was
not faster, so I am thinking ABB do not need rich food except when it is -40
out!  hay should suffice.  Hopefully we have some rain this year so that we can
get some hay.

Carla