I have two Pyrenees/Anatolian LGDs with very long hair. Our summers are VERY hot but not humid. Every spring, I shave off their "pantaloons" because they are too matted to groom. This year the male dog had accumulated great boluses of fecal material in his pantaloons that smelled terrible and were getting bigger by the day. I also closely trim the hair behind their ears because it gets very matted. Other than that, I spend several hours on each dog brushing out the shedding hair (removing enough hair to build a brand-new dog). So the grooming I do is for health and hygiene reasons as well as for the dogs' comfort. I suggest you do whatever your dogs require. But I think close-cropping any of the other hair could cause a bad sunburn situation, especially with these pink-skinned dogs.

Carol