I am looking for a lightweight program that does:

- provides a file browser for selecting images

- same file browser also displays the selected image in a small window
(maybe same window)

- once an image is selected be able to set it as the root image

Hopefully:

- record the currently used image so the program can be ran at startup
(via .xinitrc for example) to load the previously chosen root image (and
then promptly close). I can code this if needed.

Optionally:

- some randomizer for choosing next image

- show many images (thumbnails) at same time for easier selection

My goal is to have a simple tool for my wife to use for selecting the
background image. For example, xfce4 provides a tool for selecting a
background image, but it is a part of the xfce xfce-setting-show which
does a lot more. Maybe I should use a tool available from some heavier
desktop environment -- but then I don't want the bloat it may require.

Maybe there is a blackbox configuration tool for this?

Maybe there is an applet/dockapp for this? Although I do prefer to not
keep it running all the time.

I know there are many graphics viewers but I don't know of any that do
what I want:

xv - doesn't seem to have a way to set the root image
konqueror
 - not lightweight; does to much extra
 - I don't know if it can set the root image to the chosen image
ImageViewer
ee
feh  - does have an option to save filelists
gimageview
PixiePlus (for KDE)
ShowImg (for KDE)
vp
gqview (GTK2 and GTK1 versions)
gwenview (for KDE)
xzgv
gtksee
eog (Eye of Gnome)
xli -- can set root image, but doesn't have a file selector

If none of the above provide a way, what is your favorite?

Maybe I can extend one to add an option to set the root image and save the
chosen filename.

Or maybe one of the above has an option to output the selected filename to
stdout?

  Jeremy C. Reed
  http://bsd.reedmedia.net/  -- BSD news and resources