Ken Moffat wrote:
On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 05:54:00PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
I've started looking at kf5-5-19.0.  One thing I found was a message:

frameworkintegration uses Noto Sans (https://www.google.com/get/noto/) and
Oxygen Mono
(http://download.kde.org/stable/plasma/5.4.0/oxygen-fonts-5.4.0.tar.xz)
fonts, ensure these are installed for use at runtime")

We presently have neither of these in the book.

Looking at https://www.google.com/get/noto/, the font package is not
versioned:

https://noto-website-2.storage.googleapis.com/pkgs/Noto-hinted.zip

This is a 472 MB file with only ttf files.  I think the install procedures
would be something like:

sudo install -d -m755 /usr/share/fonts/noto
sudo unzip Noto-hinted.zip -d /usr/share/fonts/noto
sudo fc-cache -f -v # optional

There may be a better source:
https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-fonts/releases/tag/v2015-09-29-license-adobe.
This is dated and a lot smaller than the previous package.  It is probably
not as comprehensive.

I vaguely recall looking at these a couple of years ago : at that
time, I was looking for panCJK fonts to try in texlive, and
whichever font I installed gave problems, I think with fontconfig.
I assume that part is all fixed now, but ere seemed to be a lot of
different subsets of the fonts - for limited languages.

I would prefer to use something current, but for limited languages.
------

For the oxygen-fonts, there is oxygen-fonts-5.4.2.tar.xz.

Requires fontforge.

The install procedures should be:

mkdir build
cd    build

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ..
make install

It installs three fonts:

Oxygen-Sans-Bold.ttf
Oxygen-Sans.ttf
OxygenMono-Regular.ttf

In /usr/share/fonts/truetype/oxygen

---------

I think these need to go into the book, but where?  I can put oxygen-fonts
into the KF5 section and the noto fonts into Xorg-7.7 Testing and
Configuration.

I thought that the oxygen fonts were already there.  Hmm, in kf5
they are an external reference, "(also available in Plasma-5.5.4)"
but they do not seem to be listed in Plasma.  I think the version is
in sync with the plasma version, but for some reason we are not
        picking them up in plasma ate moment.

The oxygen-fonts don't really fit into the Xorg-7.7 section (Xft Font
Protocol).

We could create a new section for fonts (like we did for icons).  We could
rename the Icons section to 'Icons and Fonts' and put them there.  If we did
that the question comes up about the Xorg Fonts and the discussion in
'Xorg-7.7 Testing and Configuration'.

I'm all in favour of adding a section for TTF and OTF fonts - we
still install _all_ the old legacy fonts, but barely mention modern
fonts.  And modern graphical TTYs tend to use TTF/OTF fonts.

As I've said before, DejaVu and the GNU Free fonts ought to
be included at a minimum.  For the systemd book, cantarell fonts
should probably be there for gnome (I haven't looked at that book
recently, maybe they are already there).

But equally, if you do not install noto, I surmise that fontconfig
will produce a "best match" (whichever TTF or OTF font you use for
Sans Serif), and I'm sure that a gnome desktop would equally fall
back.
We are in the middle of a release cycle, so I would not want to make the
changes too invasive.

How should we go on this?

I don't think that adding TTF/OTF fonts is invasive : yes, more
pages, but they do not invalidate anything alrready tagged.

I agree, but I'm still wondering how to organize it. It wouldn't be a problem if we were not in the middle of a release cycle. For fonts, I would add terminus also. I find them nice for the console.

Oh, and isn't testing wonderful, now that we have so many packages
in the book ?

It would be a lot easier if we had more testers. From my perspective, I'd like someone independent to test gcc, java, all of typesetting, lxde, lxqt, display managers and gnome. I'm comfortable with kde4/5 and xfce.

Right now I'm working on kde5, but would like to get this font thing right.

  -- Bruce