On 04/07/2018 01:48 AM, Kevin Buckley wrote:
On 7 April 2018 at 13:56, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com> wrote:

That's clear enough.  The books were initially developed at different times
so there are differences.  When we moved those packages from BLFS to LFS,
there are differences, but we are familiar enough with them that it doesn't
take long to make the changes.

The package info has to go to Chapter 3.  The dependencies are removed (they
are inherent in the build order).  Changes are made to the preface,
changelog, and appendices, etc.  There may also be changes in the build
instructions due to building in chroot.

Fair enough.

Except perhaps for

... The dependencies are removed (they
are inherent in the build order).

which doesn't apply to the packages near the end of LFS Chapter 6, where,
as I have mentioned in the past, they are merely left in alphabetical order
(or were, last time I looked) and so make the SysV and SystemD books
look more different than they might actually need to be.

I have thought about moving systemd/dbus to the end of Chapter 6 for the systemd book and the same for sysvinit/eudev/sysklogd for the standard book, but there are some dependencies that prevent that. They could be moved around a bit, but if we need exceptions, then it doesn't really matter.

But anyway, thanks for the feedback, especially as I am merely thinking
out loud here but, has there been any thought in the past to making the
two "book builds" more alike; perhaps more akin to a Vol 1 and Vol2 within
the same "book" for rendering purposes?

You have no idea how much work that would be. The cost far exceeds the value.

Probably over thinking things but I was just taking a look at the LFS Chap6
and BLFS XML sources for shadow, as I recalled that that's one of the few
(perhaps the only ?) packages that exists in both,

gcc, systemd, dbus, python3, expect, tcl, and vim are all in both books.

  -- Bruce