Below is my response to both Ken and Chris.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:12 AM, Ken Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Among other things, to get into the book you need to engage an
> editor's interest.  I find it hard to see why anyone would use a
> "desktop" without X nowadays.

That is what I differ. X is so bloated, we have to install so many
packages. And yet, it still require DRI to launch compiz fusion. If we
could have desktop without x, that would be marvellous. We could have
very fast desktop that could run on very old hardware, and even faster
on new hardware.

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Chris Staub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David Kuntadi wrote:
> Um, workaround for what?

links -g do not have write access to /dev/fb0, and requires to run as root.

> BLFS is just a guide for installing packages beyond a base LFS system. I
> don't quite get what you're saying here.

What I am saying is:
1. LFS is just linux, command line only. That would be great for servers.
2. LFS + INX (desktop without X), for super user of old hardware, or
ease of administering servers. But it is also possible for normal user
if the setup is very freindly.
3. X windows, for people like eye candys........ may be.

DK