David Kuntadi wrote:
> Below is my response to both Ken and Chris.
>

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Chris Staub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> David Kuntadi wrote:
>> Um, workaround for what?
>
> links -g do not have write access to /dev/fb0, and requires to run as root.
>
>> BLFS is just a guide for installing packages beyond a base LFS system. I
>> don't quite get what you're saying here.
>
> What I am saying is:
> 1. LFS is just linux, command line only. That would be great for servers.
> 2. LFS + INX (desktop without X), for super user of old hardware, or
> ease of administering servers. But it is also possible for normal user
> if the setup is very freindly.
> 3. X windows, for people like eye candys........ may be.
>
> DK

Maybe I'm just clueless, but can you explain specifically what it is you
are proposing, and how this is any different from, say, building a
standard LFS system and a few select packages from BLFS? I am fully
aware (and, no doubt, so are all other LFS/BLFS editors and users) that
not everyone needs or wants X. Those that don't can just use BLFS for
alternative packages, or search the web. If you just want to have
something like different customized BLFS books with select packages for
the various system types you described above, you could easily just
write up a hint, and/or take the existing BLFS svn source, modify it
accordingly, and create your own branch. If you want to add more
packages (or additions to existing packages about how to use them
without X) to BLFS, open up a ticket in Trac for each new/modified
package. If you're suggesting something else entirely, can you clarify
exactly what that is?