> >     On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 02:03:43AM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> >     >
> >     >  Glad you were right - I've just posted that this seemed unlikely
> >     > be the error, but if it builds then you are sorted.
> >     >
> >     > /me resolves never to touch squid with the proverbial barge-pole.
> >     >

> > I agree; IMO squid is probably past its prime and maybe a better
> > choice would be something more up-to-date like varnish-cache
> > https://www.varnish-cache.org/releases/varnish-cache-2.1.4
> >
> > Of course, I realise that this is of no help to the problem in hand,
> > or maybe it is :-)
> >
> > Richard
> >

> My point of getting Squid, is to use SquidGuard and DansGuardian, are
> there like options for varnish-cache?

I thought that SquidGuard and DansGuardian did much the same thing.  AFAIK
you can use DansGuardian in front of Varnish, if that's what you want to
do.  You can do some content filtering with Varnish but it's mainly about
fast caching using RAM and I would imagine that DansGuardian would slow it
down; also, I believe there's been no development in it for a few years.
 There are other content filtering tools but I don't know what your use
case is.  As a reverse proxy Varnish was just a suggestion and there are
other alternatives.  You can use Nginx as a reverse caching proxy but
Varnish caches better.  If you are interested in alternatives to Squid then
your favourite search engine is your friend.

Richard