Pierre Labastie wrote:
On 11/03/2018 16:19, Pierre Labastie wrote:
On 11/03/2018 15:51, Hazel Russman wrote:
The ninja.build file created by meson for this package contains a help2man command with
the argument --help-option="--help-all". My help2man command will not accept
this argument, so the build terminates prematurely. If I edit the argument out by hand,
the build succeeds.

I don't have a man page for help2man but I have seen online man pages that
include --help-option as a valid argument.

If I type help2man --help, the option is not shown.

The help2man installed with lsb_release is too old. This has been discuted in
November (about pango, see thread starting at
http://lists.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/blfs-support/2017-November/079667.html).
Not sure what the outcome was...

Ah and also more recently in the thread starting at
http://lists.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/blfs-dev/2018-February/034037.html

Guess we can state one of the BLFS editors rule:
Editors struggling to stay up to date with upstream never fix little
annoyances...

Let me try. After half a day spent fixing longindex, I guess I'm up to fixing
this too.

So I'll remove the instructions for installing help2man in lsb_release,
add an external dependency on gnu help2man in pango, and also copy the man
page for pango-view, which exists in the build tree, to its location.

Perhaps just downloading http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/BLFS/help2man to /usr/bin would be sufficient. It is just a stand alone 20KB perl script.

As root:

wget http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/BLFS/help2man -O /usr/bin/help2man

The only real issue is how to present it. A separate page in Chapter 13 seems appropriate.

  -- Bruce