Armin K. wrote:
On Sun, 2018-03-11 at 12:39 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
Pierre Labastie wrote:
On 11/03/2018 16:19, Pierre Labastie wrote:
On 11/03/2018 15:51, Hazel Russman wrote:
The file created by meson for this package contains
a help2man command with the argument --help-option="--help-
all". My help2man command will not accept this argument, so the
build terminates prematurely. If I edit the argument out by
hand, the build succeeds.

I don't have a man page for help2man but I have seen online man
pages that include --help-option as a valid argument.

If I type help2man --help, the option is not shown.

The help2man installed with lsb_release is too old. This has been
discuted in
November (about pango, see thread starting at
Not sure what the outcome was...

Ah and also more recently in the thread starting at

Guess we can state one of the BLFS editors rule:
Editors struggling to stay up to date with upstream never fix
little annoyances...

Let me try. After half a day spent fixing longindex, I guess I'm
up to fixing
this too.

So I'll remove the instructions for installing help2man in
add an external dependency on gnu help2man in pango, and also copy
the man
page for pango-view, which exists in the build tree, to its

Perhaps just downloading
to /usr/bin would be sufficient.  It is just a stand alone 20KB perl

As root:

wget -O

The only real issue is how to present it.  A separate page in Chapter
seems appropriate.

    -- Bruce

If you're going to take it that far (adding a separate page), why don't
  you just use the official help2man?

Trying to minimize support required.  Currency, etc.

An alternative would be to add the updated help2man file to lsb_release as a recommended download.

  -- Bruce