Armin K. wrote:
On Sun, 2018-03-11 at 12:39 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
Pierre Labastie wrote:
On 11/03/2018 16:19, Pierre Labastie wrote:
On 11/03/2018 15:51, Hazel Russman wrote:
The ninja.build file created by meson for this package contains
a help2man command with the argument --help-option="--help-
all". My help2man command will not accept this argument, so the
build terminates prematurely. If I edit the argument out by
hand, the build succeeds.

I don't have a man page for help2man but I have seen online man
pages that include --help-option as a valid argument.

If I type help2man --help, the option is not shown.

The help2man installed with lsb_release is too old. This has been
discuted in
November (about pango, see thread starting at
http://lists.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/blfs-support/2017-Nov
ember/079667.html).
Not sure what the outcome was...

Ah and also more recently in the thread starting at
http://lists.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/blfs-dev/2018-Februar
y/034037.html

Guess we can state one of the BLFS editors rule:
Editors struggling to stay up to date with upstream never fix
little annoyances...

Let me try. After half a day spent fixing longindex, I guess I'm
up to fixing
this too.

So I'll remove the instructions for installing help2man in
lsb_release,
add an external dependency on gnu help2man in pango, and also copy
the man
page for pango-view, which exists in the build tree, to its
location.

Perhaps just downloading http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/BLFS/help
2man
to /usr/bin would be sufficient.  It is just a stand alone 20KB perl
script.

As root:

wget http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/BLFS/help2man -O
/usr/bin/help2man

The only real issue is how to present it.  A separate page in Chapter
13
seems appropriate.

    -- Bruce

If you're going to take it that far (adding a separate page), why don't
  you just use the official help2man?

Trying to minimize support required.  Currency, etc.

An alternative would be to add the updated help2man file to lsb_release as a recommended download.

  -- Bruce