> While watching rust build/test, I've been running top.  My past
> experience suggests that a process will normally max out at 100%
> (i.e. all of _one_ core), but with rust I'm seeing percentages of
> 250-300%.  Is that normal ?

It does not seem alarming to me with a multicore/hyperthreading CPU when it's
told (make) or is programmed to figure out how many, ummm, "processing units"
it can access.  I regularly see my 4+4 Bloomfield running make -j8 with all 8
running 95-100%.  ("I love the sound of the fan running up in the morning.")
In fact, I'm disappointed that running LibreOffice it only ever seems to use
one core. 8-(

The one caution is that, with make running all 8, some jobs with comples
sources can over-commit its 12GB of RAM when running compiles with each forking
an embedded assembly, etc.

--
Paul Rogers
paulgrog...@fastmail.fm