On Sun, Apr 08, 2018 at 08:01:43PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> On 04/08/2018 06:39 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > This is the first of a pair of posts which probably show how out of
> > my depth I am ;)
> >
> > While watching rust build/test, I've been running top.  My past
> > experience suggests that a process will normally max out at 100%
> > (i.e. all of _one_ core), but with rust I'm seeing percentages of
> > 250-300%.  Is that normal ?
>
> Do you know that for top pressing 1 (one) will show individual cores?
> Pressing t will make them into a pseudo graphical (curses) display. I've
> seen a load of over 13 for some long builds using ninja.
>
>   -- Bruce

I normally have top set to show loadavg, whatever is on the next
line, a %Cpu line for each core, with a line of '|' after the
percentage, memory, swap, and then the old-style details (running
processes rather than trees of threads).

But I think you are talking about loadavg on your 12 core machine ?
I was seeing loadavgs of 4 or 5 from time to time while rust was
running.

The diference here is that I'm used to individual processes each
going up to 100%, but here the main process is/was running at 400%
(only 4 cores on this machine).

ĸen
--
In my seventh decade astride this planet, and as my own cells degrade,
there are some things I cannot do now: skydiving, marathon running,