On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 07:44:14PM -0700, Terry Coats wrote:
> I don't know if this is the proper place for this problem but since I'm
> experiencing it from my lfs systems I'd like to mention it.
>
> My problem is when I use one of my lfs systems with unbound it screws up my
> network upsteam, probably at my wireless router. What's happening is if I
> use my lfs system running unbound and then switch to another lfs system not
> running unbound, that system's dns does not seem to work. Trying browser
> connections to anywhere doesn't work. It appears that unbound does something
> to screw up dns at the router. I have to restart the lfs system a few times
> for the network to work again.
>
> So, I boot lfs SVN-20180323, which is running unbound, and continue adding
> more software for a while.
>
> Then I'll reboot to lfs 8.0 which is my main system and not running unbound.
> Network doesn't work, at least the dns part. The connection is up but dns
> fails. I can reboot to lfs 8.0 a couple more times and eventually dns will
> start working. Since lfs 8.0 knows nothing about unbound the previous
> running of it on lfs SVN-20180323 must have must mess up router dns somehow.
> Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Can't say I've seen this.  I ignored unbound for a long time, until
posts on another list convinced me it had some benefit.  So I started
using it on builds from last October.  Since then I have from time
to time used older systems (multiple machines), either to do
different things in the early months (I mostly only update one at a
time), or to build a new system, or to update a few things on older
systems.

No problems apart from one occasion where I had to reboot my virgin
hub and the tivo into which it is plugged (not uncommon, happens a
few times a year).

> Because of unbound problems I stopped using it on lfs 8.0 and use a static
> config of 192.168.1.140 for my address and use google dns servers listed in
> /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> I'll do this also for lfs SVN-20180323, just haven't got around to it yet.
>
> I am writing this to call attention to the fact that unbound has called me
> problems. It's not a show-stopper but I just wanted to mention it.

Are you using your provider's DNS with unbound ?  If so, maybe
either *add* google or replace what is there now with google.  I do
recall one other occasion where google's DNS was down for a little
while.

ĸen
--
In my seventh decade astride this planet, and as my own cells degrade,
there are some things I cannot do now: skydiving, marathon running,